Anglican Parish of Central Kings

Christ Church, Bloomfield, 1811
Church of the Ascension, Lower Norton Shore, 1845
Trinity Church, Springfield, 1820
We are a Christ Centered, Mission Minded, Community of Faith

The Venerable Rob Marsh Priest-in-Charge Parish
rob.marsh(at)anglican.nb.ca
 Information Line 832-3513  email: parishcentralkings@gmail.com

Our Historic Churches

History of Christ Church

Christ Church

Bloomfield, New Brunswick, Canada

1786

Rev. James Scovil, Kingston, was taking the occasional service in Bloomfield (which was known as Norton at that time).

 

1792

Rev. Oliver Arnold, Sussex & Studholm, began ministering to people in our area.

1795

Civil Parish of Norton was formed by the Provincial Legislative Assembly.

1797

Two and a half acres of land was given to the church by Simon Baxter, a loyalist who fled here from the United States.

1811

Church building was erected, 30' by 40'. It was used in the Summer for services, and was finished in 1823. A Bible printed in 1808 was used at this time.

1826

On July 18, Christ Church was consecrated as the Parish Church by the Right Reverend John Inglis. The burial ground was also consecrated, and 34 persons were confirmed.

1828

The Church building was moved across the road to a piece of land given by John Cook Hayes. The moving was done by Isaac B. S. Raymond using 13 yoke of oxen.

oxen

Drawing done by Gillian Urquhart on the 185th Anniversary, 1996

1839

The chancel and steeple were added.

1841

The land where the church now sits was consecrated.

1843

The gallery was added, and the ceiling was raised.

1859

The seats were made free. Brass hanging chandeliers with beautiful ruby glass globes were given by Miss Charlotte Whitney.

1865

The inside of the church was painted.

1871

A school was build at the corner of the Mountain Road and the Great Road (Highway 121 today) by the Church from proceeds of the sale of Glebe lands given for this purpose by the Provincial Legislature.

1872

A gravel roof was put on the steeple.

1873

Silver Paten and Chalice was presented to the Church by Miss Eliza Marven.

1878

A fence was built around the Cemetery.

1884

The chancel was enlarged and other extensive repairs costing over $800 were done. The East window was donated by the Metropolitan, Most Reverend John Medley.

1885

The gallery was removed.

1886

The font was given to the church by George S. Wetmore.

1892

Prior to 1892, the altar kneeling pads were given by Mrs. Medley.

1896

The bell, weighing 748 pounds, was hung in the tower. The fence was built around the church.

1911

The one hundredth anniversary of the building of the Christ Church. A stained glass window (of Jesus and the Sermon on the Mount) was installed, given by the parishioners.

http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/alfresco/newsletter/childwin.gif

1926

The organ was given by Mrs. John Raymond in memory of Ralph, Harold, and Edna Raymond.

1929

Electric lights were installed, the gift of Mrs. Helen Raymond and John Raymond.

1935

Half of the horse sheds were torn down.

1936

The Chancel carpet was laid (A.Y.P.A.) on the one hundred and twenty-fifth anniversary.

1939

The land was given for the hall by E. A. Schofield, and the Robert M. Raymond Memorial Hall was built

1948

The pulpit was installed in memory of John, George, and I. B. S. Raymond.

1960

Memorial window (Jesus with lost sheep) was given in memory of Frank and Mary Hayes. The foundation was rebuilt.

http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/alfresco/newsletter/shepwin.gif

1961

Restoration was done, and the 150th Anniversary of the church building was celebrated. Memorial stained glass window was installed. Jack E. Hoyt’s “History of Norton Parish” was published.

1967

Chimes were donated in memory of Rose Clements.

1983

New foundation was put under the church with a full basement. New carpet laid, padded kneelers installed, and church floor and church exterior was painted. Offering plates and receiving basin was donated in memory of Jean (Hayes) Cooper and Lloyd Cooper.

1984

A wooden cross was made and donated by the Sunday School.

1986

On June 22, a special service was held to commemorate members of a small black community who were buried in the church cemetery; dedication of a Stone of Remembrance.

1987

A lectern Bible (RSV) was donated.

1996

On August 18, the 185th Anniversary Service was held to commemorate the building of the church.

1998

The steeple was restored and reinforced. The church received two coats of paint by volunteers.

1998

The communion rail extension (in memory of Ada Mercer) and a prayer desk (in memory of Harold and Mary [Saunders] Morgan) were dedicated to the glory of God.

Anglican Parish of Central Kings History